Monday, March 17, 2008

Viudas Widows

Today is special because I received two gifts from some of you that will provide food for some widows in Chel. In a community where the average income per family is about $2.50 a day, there isn´t abundance or a safety net for the extremely needy. A little over a week ago, Mateo, a local pastor, told me that the people were asking him what kind a help I was offering. They wanted to know. I told him I had already spent almost all my money and I described the projects I am involved in. He then asked if I would be interested in visiting 8 widows. I said yes, but I wanted to be clear I was not offering help other then to share the information with my friends. The situation I encountered was hard for me and I knew I could not just walk away. It is common for me to visit families with no more then a few bannas corn and peppers for food. So you can imagine that since the elderly do not have direct family members to support them, life is very hard. This widows are alone and without proper housing, food, or clothes. After visiting them, I mentioned this need to a few friends, and later bought 200 pounds of corn , about 30 of rice, 40 of beans, and some sugar and a little vegetables. Last week we distributed food to 10 widows with the hope of starting a food program. I have some very honest friends here to manage it and today, before I could even post some photos, I recieved $700 for this need. The food I bought the other day probably was under $55 and will help for a month. Thanks and here are a few photos(to be added later when I have better access).

No comments: