Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Nursery en Xesalli

 

For the last two weeks I have been thinking hard about my next step in our Personal Garden Program. The decision felt important and heavy. Much of my life I have stopped and waited before a major decission out of fear of making the wrong decission. The decision of where to put  and how to arrange a nursery and personal home while I work here will definitely affect my future and that of the  program for the next year or two. The decision was difficult in part because I was about to place myself right in the middle of a poverty stricken community. Not as a visitor but as a member with the vision to train how to garden in a new climate with different diseases and insects. How will this affect me I am not sure, the rich man in the centre of poverty.

  While I was thinking about the possibilities of this decision I found good council form a excerpt from the book “40 Chances- Finding Hope in a Hungry World” The book statement was “Don’t be afraid to take Risk” and “Learn from your mistakes.” I had my decision. If God guides us it isn’t always by strong words but by whispers and dreams. Perfection is in the hands of God, action is in mine. I am marching forward.

  And it was a joyful start! The following photos are the begining of a dream to establish a nursery from which we can learn, train and collect seeds. The vision is much bigger than this small site I am borrowing and starting to cultivate. It is a vision to use this whole community as a nursery. This green house is our third here and using the space between the homes and garden sites we are able to grow pure seed from many different varieties. Right know we are eating beans and corn but why not yams, fruits and berries, green vegetables, what ever can be grown here?
  The upcoming week we are heading into the mountains to visit five communities. We are helping them with drinking water projects and vegetable gardens. How basic can you get. Join with us. All donation go directly into these projects. YOU can make a difference
 

Un Vivero en Xesalli 
Hace dos semanas pienso duro en el próximo paso de nuestro programa de Hortalizas. La decisión fue importante y se pasa hacerlo.  La mayoría de my vida yo paraba y esperaba hacer un decisión por el miedo hacerlo mal. La decisión a donde y como poner el vivero y un hogar se afecta mi futuro y el programa. La decisión me cuesta porque yo sé que voy a meterme en un comunidad pobre. No como un visitante pero como un miembro. Con un visión ensenar cultivar verduras en un clima diferente con plagas desconocido. Que me afectara’- el rico quien entro adentro los necesitados.  
    Mientras contemplo los posibilidades encontré buen consejo del libro “40 Chances- Finding hope in a hungry world” El consejo decía “no tenga miedo hacer riesgos”  y “Aprenda de sus equivoques” Ya viene el claro! Si Dios nos guía no es siempre por palabras fuertes pero por palabras susurradas y sueños intimitos. La perfección esta en las manos de Dios y la acción en mío. Adelante me voy.  
  Y con qué feliz avancemos! Los siguiente fotos son del empieza de una visión establecer un lugar a practicar métodos de cultivar hortalizas y crecer semillas. La visión es más de mi sitio que esta prestado. La es para la comunidad entero, por la región.  Usando los sitios de mis compañeros hacer espacios suficientes  guardar variedades de semillas diferentes y puro en forma de tiempo sembraríamos los montañas alrededor nosotros. Ya comemos frejoles y maíz. ¿Por qué no camote, fruta, hojas verdes, zanahorias y todas las verduras posibles a crecer?
  La semana que viene iré a visitar cinco comunidades más lejanos adonde tenemos proyectos de agua potable y hortalizas. Se interesan la gente la oportunidad enfronte, a beber y comer mejor. ¡Tan básico son las necesidades! Nos acercaban y trabajamos junto. Todos sus donaciones ir directamente a las programas. Puede hacer una diferencia.


This was my green house team for the third greenhouse. It is such a simple design that the kids cut the pieces and put it together.

 
But you will soon see that these kids love to work and help.

 
During a break they serenaded me with pipe pieces. They were actually pretty good.

 
Streaching the tarp

 
turned into a tug of war!

 
Victory over the tarp

 
They learned so fast. They are used to watching the adults work and will copy them so exactly. I guess all kid do that which places a great responbility on the whole community to set a good example.

 
Heading home after a short day.

 
This is the site of Antonio. We have three varrieties of yams in the front beds. In total we have 50 yam plants from four varieties which should yield 150 plants in three months!

Here is Felipe who is in charge of the groups in three villages.

 
We purchase 700 fruit bearing trees and 200 strawberry plants. These will be handed out over the next two months.

 
Back to my green house. I had the men do the hard work of turning the soil. I can not do this alone which makes me dependant on a good principle--work together!

 
The kids are loading top soil into sacks and a wheel barrow to put in the greenhouse.

 
This size of bag is not light. They always tied it with an old string that gave my fingers fits to undo. They did not want to spill or waste anything.

 
Two pulling and one sterring. They learned this by watching their dads work.

 
Every age helped. My camera was fogged up much of this morning as I would watch these kids place one rock in a gunney sack and carry it to me.

 
Building the bed walls. The fathers took note knowing the rocks would not rot. I preach never, never walk in a bed and this makes the designation easy for everyone to see.

 
Bringing me rock

 
Each kid wanted me to personal receive and notice their efforts. 

 
Almost done. Monday we will finish. We have planted 1/2 of this and wil propable have 500 transplants in three or four weeks.

 
The men continue their work. We shaved of the grass and placed it in mounds to decompose. Latter we will turn the soil and form our beds. I hope after that not to have to turn the soil again. We will add organic matter as a mulch to contiue provide good planting surfaces.

 
Well, yes my body aches but I love this work. Gardening, hiking, and helping, not a bad way to live.

No comments: