Sunday, May 18, 2008

Random Acts of Kindness (part one)

The following photographs are of different needs I came across that I wanted to be a part of. It is a privilege to have the resources... i.e. such as money with which to step into someone’s life and make a difference. I believe that is the benefit of unequal wages between industrial nations and the developing world. Since I can’t fix the inequality of national economies it is nice to share the material blessing I have received.
Here is Gaspar, a part time teacher and carpenter planing a table top. In the last year his village has received electricity which has opened up new possibilities. Carpentry tools are about 30% higher in Guatemala and, with the local low wages, it is very difficult to buy enough tools. I bought about $1200 worth of tools and set-up an interest free loan for $800 dollars and gifted the rest. For three weeks his family fed and housed me and I tried to teach them a little carpentry. The next three loans that I made in this community have the added feature so that the loan payments will go to the school to help buy books for a reading library.



The most expensive tool I bought was this tablesaw. In this picture Gaspar is routering a table leg.


Here he is cutting some decorative diamonds into the table top.


The finished product: Total value $50 .Materials $15. Time to build, 3 days. A good profit in a economy that generally pays $3 -$10 a day.


Another entrepreneur I met had an ice-cream business. He would travel three hours to buy ice and then store it in a gunnysack of wood shavings to insulate it. It was a race in order to sell shaved-iced cones before his ice melted and then he would have to travel back for more. Now he has a freezer and can sell ice, bags of frozen fruit water and shaved-ice cones. Here he is with his new freezer and ice cream cart.



Enlisting the relatives to bag colored water


With the busness going great, Silvistre can rest in his office!


Once again, here is my friend Manuel. His son needed help with tuition. His son Maximino is in school to become a teacher and needed assistance with tuition, room and board. With a $300 scholarship and a $300 loan Maximino will be able to continue attending school and graduate this year.


No comments: